Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Two ways


This is a small part of the English paper piecing project that I've been working on recently. Following on from my last post about making mistakes, this began in much the same vein in that I made the initial part of the design twice. Yes. Arrggggg! I began by piecing the 1" diamonds on my sewing machine. It was actually not as fiddly or as troublesome as I'd imagined it might be as I'd marked on all the seam allowances and they came together surprisingly quickly.


I was actually quite pleased with how they were turning out, but once I'd sewn them all together, I could see that seeing the seam allowances through a white fabric would drive me potty when it was hung on the wall (in a way that it wouldn't if it was a quilt, where I'd expect to see these) and my husband said he'd feel the same too. And it didn't work to attempt to press all the seam allowances toward the darker fabrics in this case, which was my first thought in solving this problem.  It's difficult to see in a photograph, but the top photo of the two that follow shows the diamonds machine pieced and the bottom photograph shows exactly the same pattern pieces sewn together using the English paper piecing method. To go on the wall, the pieces in the second photo look far crisper to me.



And just for the more geeky amongst you, you might like to see the contrast in a close up. The top photo is machine sewn, the lower one English paper pieced:



The thing that I found the most challenging about making this was to try and reign myself in when it came to introducing new fabric prints for each round of hexagons. I trialled out so many different grey and mustard prints, but my husband kept steering me back to the fact that it actually just looked better when I allowed more repetition. 


I'll hopefully show you the finished thing later in the week. While I don't intend to continue making things twice in future, I actually quite enjoyed seeing the same thing made up in two different ways on this occasion, so I have decided not to eat my own head for the time being.

Florence x

9 comments:

  1. Just wondering if you have already removed the papers from the eep one yet, if you haven't then that would be why you can't see the seams, a white batting might help with the shadows too, I hope I haven't totally missed the point and this reads like im a jerk lol, either way I love both versions, your fabric choice works really well, its a very striking quilt and will look awesome on the wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you don't sound like a jerk! Just somehow who is confused by my apparent lack of logic! I can see exactly why you'd say that as I don't think I'd made it clear that it was for the wall. Whenever I've made something using English paper piecing for the wall in the past I've always left the papers in as it stabilises it and does cover the seam allowances up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Florence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is gorgeous! and yes, the EPP version is nicer. you could use the machine sewn parts for a non-hanging quilt in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really gorgeous. Your fabric choices are stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outstanding! Fabulous use of color and fabric patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice very cool,Christmas is coming, the latest Michael Kors to see here
    http://www.ebagstore.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x